Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in many parts of the world, especially in the United States. And as we understand that during these hard times of the pandemic, it could be a little bit difficult to think about how to celebrate; that is why we are giving you 5 easy tips to kick off your own fiesta!
1. Learning the history of Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo sometimes gets mistaken for being the Mexican Independence Day, but in reality that is on September 16th. The Cinco de Mayo celebration is to commemorate the Battle of Puebla where the Mexican Army won the victory against the French Empire in 1862. This celebration became really important in the United States because it is the main day we celebrate the Mexican-American traditions.
2. DIY Piñata
A fun way to share some family time during the weekend, is with a DIY piñata! They are very easy to create and you might have most of the materials at home. To make your piñata you will be needing the following material:
- Newspaper (strips of approx 3″ by 3″)
- Flour Paste (approx. 1 part flour to 2 parts water)
- PVA Glue
- Large Round Balloon
- Paper Fringe Garlands
Check out how to create them on this easy DIY blog.
3. Enjoy Some Mexican Food
Another part of this celebration and that we all enjoy the most is the food. Here are some options to order take out and delivery in the Fort Worth area during these times and some even have specials. Check them out!
- Joe T. Garcia’s has their special curbside pickup menu, do not hesitate to try those delicious nachos and guacamole during this day.
- Chimy’s Cerveceria offers to-go family fajita packs for only $12 USD per person. P.S. They also have margarita delivery.
- Uncle Julio’s offers takeout, a great option for your family of 4 or more with their special fajitas package.
- Meso Maya is open in two main locations and you can add to any of your meals a margarita kit for only $8 USD.
Be on the lockout for your favorite restaurant as they might have some options for you and do not forget to support local.
4. Virtual parties with friends and family
Technology has been big to help us connect with our loved ones when they are far away. But during this pandemic we have learned to use it for a variety of purposes. We cannot think of a better way than to schedule a virtual party to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with your friends and/or family. We recommend using Zoom or Google Hangouts to have free video calls, you can even play games and have a round of margaritas (or five). The plus part, there is no drinking and driving 😉
5. Mexican Music
And lastly to have the best party ever, you can’t forget the music! On Spotify and YouTube you can find free available options to listen to some regional songs. There are even playlists called Cinco de Mayo where you can find some Mariachi songs and the famous Jarabe Tapatio dance from Guadalajara. Do not miss having them at your party.
There are many ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo from the comfort of your own home while staying safe. So do not hesitate to follow these tips and do not forget we gotcha’ covered!