Top Texas Lake Spots
Photo courtesy: Possum Kingdom Lake
Summers in Texas can get hot…extremely hot. What better way to combat this intense heat than to take a trip to the lake? With your Boating 101, it’s a perfect time to hit the water. Whether you enjoy fishing, water sports, or just relaxing on the vessel with some friends, there are plenty of activities to look forward to on the water. Texas is scattered with over 170 vast beautiful lakes that are primed and ready to be explored. However, we’ve narrowed down that list to our top 6 to help make your lake getaway planning a little easier.
Here are our Best Texas Lake Getaways
- Lake Texoma– Unfortunately, we have to share this beautiful grand lake with Oklahoma, but we’ll still consider it a Texas lake. Lake Texoma is the 12th largest lake in the United States and it contains some of the best fishing in the state of Texas. This lake holds bass that weigh up to 20 lbs as well as various types of catfish and crappie. With over 1,000 miles of shoreline, there’s plenty of room for swimming as well as a ton of trails for horseback riding and hiking!
- Possum Kingdom Lake– This Lake resides about an hour west of Dallas/Fort Worth and features tons of fun activities for the whole family. Take the boat out on this gorgeous lake for some fishing, swimming, scuba diving, snorkeling and water sports. The marina offers rentals for wakeboards, kneeboards, water skis and tubes, so you’re covered if you arrive empty-handed. While you’re there, make sure you check out the infamous “Hell’s Gate” cliff formation in the lake. You can even go cliff diving if you’re brave enough!
- Lake O’ the Pines– Have your camera charged if you’re looking to visit this lake because the sights here are out of this world. This beautiful lake has thousands of pine trees that stretch across miles of shoreline. Not only does the shoreline serve as a great photo backdrop, but it also offers a ton of awesome amenities such as campgrounds, picnic spots, beachfront and boating ramps. If you enjoy fishing then you’re in luck! This lake is filled with a wide variety of bass, chain pickerel, sunfish, and crappie.
- Sam Rayburn Reservoir– If you’re a fishing fanatic then this is the destination for you! This spot hosts over 300 fishing tournaments every year and it is filled with largemouth bass, bluegill, catfish and red ear sunfish. Being the largest reservoir in Deep East Texas, this location offers a ton of great amenities such as swimming, boating, water sports, nature trails and camping grounds.
- Lake Travis– Located in the Austin, is one of the most popular lakes for recreational activities in Texas. Here you will find a large shoreline where camping and picnicking are very popular. Want some adventure on the water? Boating, scuba diving, and swimming are popular activities in enjoyed at the lake. Don’t forget to stop at The Oasis and make sure you’re there at dusk and get your camera ready when the sunset bell starts ringing.
- Lake Conroe– Lake Conroe is located approx. 60 miles north of Houston. With lavish homes belonging to retired basketball players Rudolph Tomjanovich and Aaron Grey, and retired baseball pitcher Clemens lining the shoreline, there is no wonder why this is a popular spot. It is a top spot for fishing, wakeboarding, jet skiing, and boating. Surrounding Lake Conroe is the Sam Houston National Forest, Waterpoint Center, 10 marinas and some of best golf courses in Texas.
Before planning your lake getaway now is a great time to make sure that all of your boat insurance needs are up-to-date. Give us a call to have an agent review your policy to confirm that your auto insurance has the right amount of coverage for your family and your needs. We can also ensure that you are getting the best rate for your policy. You might even qualify for additional discounts, especially if you have your home insured through us!
From all of us at Al Boenker Insurance, we hope you stay safe and have a great time. Remember boat safety and etiquette, Oh, and don’t forget those life jackets!